2.08.2011

Let's Make a Movie!

By Leah

 Apparently I'm the slacker of the group, so here I am attempting to make up for it.

Recently I've been brainstorming a few different movie ideas and I have to say, I think I'm getting somewhere. The more I think about it, the more inspired I become. I've never made a movie before, so I'm less than an amateur, but it's something that really interests me and something I aspire to do before I'm like, old and stuff. I came up with something I think I could actually work with (this came to me while I was taking one of my hour long showers in the dark-I don't care what you guys [Jen and Lisa] think...they are very enjoyable!).

The main idea behind my idea (weirdly worded! HA) is something I, and I'm sure many women feminists struggle with: relationships and love. Now let me elaborate, because everyone struggles with relationships and love, but what I'm talking about in particular is how feminists deal with love and conventional standards for relationships. Just think about it, women are taught from a young age on how to act in order to get a man, but most feminists go againsts those ideas (some stick with them, but because they want to, not because they have to-you go girls!). However, and I've seen it many times, often women feminists forget their personal beliefs because a cute and witty boy came into their lives. It sucks, it's annoying and it's happened to me and many of my friends, which is why I think it would be interesting, fun and worth the time, sweat, blood, tears and learning experience to create a film from this idea.

I haven't quite pieced it together yet, but I'm thinking of showing it from a woman feminist's point of view (obviously, wouldn't really make sense otherwise) from the beginning of her relationship to the end of it. I was thinking of focusing a lot on the beginning, when they're still dating and going out and getting to know one another, then focusing a bit on their engagement and wedding and how my main character would deal with tradiational weddings (because that's what is obviously going to be expected of her), then focusing on how they raise their children and how she is trying to teach them her values while he is trying to teach them more "traditional" values, based on how he was raised, and lastly I want to focus on them when their kids are moved out and when they're old and having to deal with one another as they head towards those "golden years".

Also, the man of the movie isn't going to be mean, awful, evil or even a douchebag. He's actually going to be a really decent guy, he's just going to be raised in a very traditional household. He's going to be very accepting and interested, but he, too, will struggle with the relationship and the different dynamics within it.

The lady of the film, the starlet, the main gal; she's going to be the main focus. She's going to be young, confused, in love, in hate, irritated, happy, depressed, lost, wise, naive, old...she's going to be growing up. While her boyfriend/husband will also be growing up (not to mention their kids!) she's going the one whom the viewer will take most notice.

I have a few little funny scene ideas too. Here's one that I think I just have to use:

Girl and Guy (temporary names for now...I'm thinking maybe Naomi for our leading lady?) have been seeing each other for a few weeks now, nothing exclusive or serious though. He really likes her and finds her to be completely fascination and brilliant. She is confused by him, is really attracted to him and thinks he's smarter than any other guy she has ever dated. He invites her out to a beach party where he and a couple of his friends are going to be drinking and just having a good time.

So she accepts the invitation and is now getting ready to go the morning of the party. She had bought a bikini for it (another funny scene I'm thinking, because she's more of a shorts and t-shirt as swimwear kind of girl) and is now in the bathroom looking in the mirror, holding a razor. She doesn't shave and she doesn't want to, however she is afraid that he'll be turned off or freaked out by her hairy legs and hairy armpits. You can see the terror and confusion on her face as she struggles with this decision. She calls him up, and I imagine the conversation going something like this:

Guy: "Hello?"
Girl: "Hi...it's me."
Guy: "Hey what's up? I was actually just thinking about you! You excited for tonight?"
Girl: "I, um, can't go."
Guy: "What? No way! Why not? Is everything okay?"
Girl: "Yeah, well, no, well, um...I got my period!"
Hang up.

So like... that's just a thought. I'm a little enthusiastic and excited about it, now I just have to buck up and sit down and write it. I never have any motivation to finish anything, so I'm a little worried, but I really want to finish this. I really want to go somewhere with this. So hopefully it'll work out in the end.

Now that I've rambled on about my movie ideas forever, I'm out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment